Sunday, January 27, 2013

Rug Hooking with the Wool Poppies

 Two of my Wool Club buddies, Debby and Earleen, belong to the Wool Poppies Rug Hooking Guild and just before Christmas they let me know that the WP's were having an beginners rug hooking class at their January meeting.

Yesterday was finally the day! After waiting almost six weeks I went to the Central California Traditional Rug Hookers, aka Wool Poppies meeting. Everyone was very helpful and welcoming.

There were 3 of us rookies at the meeting. Gail Becker was kind enough to give us a lesson. You can check out Gail's website at gailbeckerrughooking.com/. By the end of the meeting each of us were hooking away. Rug hooking you guys!

One thing I learned is that the backing you use makes a difference. The kit Gail had for us used primitive linen and I found it easy to pull the wool through it. My other kit used monk's cloth and I struggled to pull the wool up.

The ladies allowed me to take pictures of their rugs. Sorry ladies I forgot to get the names of who did each of the rugs. The rugs are approx 3' x2 or 4'x3'.

Enjoy the Wool Poppies creations:


The creator of this rug was working on the pink binding.





My Wool Club buddy Earleen did the next one. I'm not sure what cut of wool she is using but it is small. I love the sky.




My other Wool Club buddy, Debby is working on this round airplane themed rug for her husbands office. (I can't believe it's going on the floor)



Here's a closer look.



The rug below will be their raffle rug. Each of the members have done or will do one of the squares, there is another unfinished row I didn't put in the picture.




The Wool Poppies have a retreat each year, this year "Hooker Hill" will be held July 21-25 at a location just outside of Oakhurst California . Teachers will be Susan Feller, Brigitta Phy, and Laura Pierce, for more information check out their website: woolpoppies.com/

Thank you Wool Poppies for hosting me today. I had a great time and learned a lot.

Til next time, Ronda.

15 comments:

  1. These are all lovely. I have no idea how to hook a wool rug, but it would be great to learn. Stopping by from Plum and June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, I"ll visit your blog soon. I'm just learning myself. I went on YouTube and got a lot of good info. Of course there is nothing better than having an actual rug hooker teach you.

      Delete
  2. The other Wool Poppies would agree with me that we are so fortunate to have met you yesterday and hope you join us regularly. We like to exploit any opportunity to lead others down that path of fiber temptation to creative expression! Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cai, Thanks for stopping by. Will be posting pictures progress of my little rug soon.

      Delete
  3. Well, dear Ronda - thank you for making me feel so very inept this afternoon. :-) These are absolutely CRAZY BEAUTIFUL - I can appreciate the time and effort in these outstanding creations, because I did it ONCE...a piece about 8" square. Can't wait to follow along with you on your own rug - Happy week...Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya, gotta tell you their talent is intimidating. I'm working on a rug--- a mug rug. I want to start a bigger one but have to decide on a pattern first

      Delete
  4. Hi Rhonda, it looks like you made some new friends at the Wool Club.
    I love Earleen's rug. it's a beauty. How lucky that Laura Price will be teaching at the Wool Poppies retreat.
    Have a good week.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, Yes the ladies were nice and very talented, almost too talented for me. I'm not sure I can meet their level. I'm not familiar with the retreat teachers, I'll check them out online.

      Delete
  5. Wow, thoe are amazingly detailed, they must take hours to do, but with great results. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I new to rug hooking so I'm not sure how long it takes to complete one of those beauties. It woul take me forever!

      Delete
  6. You're going to have a great time. Laura is so nice and Susan is a wonderful teacher. I don't know your third one but I do know you'll have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so new to the craft that I'm not familiar with the teachers. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mm....interesting technique and such beautiful works! Thanks for sharing, Ronda!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments and will do my best to respond. Once you enter a comment you can choose Name/URL from the list , enter your name, leave the URL blank and click on continure.