Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Rug Hooked Postcards From California

In late 2011 this challenge was issued to Fiber Artists:


This challenge is called “Postcards from California” and features small (4 inch by 6 inch) pictorials of California scenes. Some suggestions to get you thinking about a pictorial postcard: the natural environment, such as mountains, deserts or coastal scenery; native flora and fauna; images of agriculture such as farms, ranches and dairies; manmade scenes, such as towns and cities, bridges, monuments, museums, and theme parks; historical images from California’s past; and recreational settings.

Deadline: February 12, 2012
Open to all
Size: 4 inches by 6 inches (traditional postcard size



During my last Wool Club meeting I discovered that some of these rug hooked postcards were displayed at a gallery in Fresno.

Yesterday DH and I went to see it. Here are some pictures from that display




Golden Gate Bridge

 
Lighthouse

 
Whale Tail

 
California Missions
Rural Californis

Wine Country


Poppies California's State Flower

 

California Foothills


It's hard to believe how many details these artists were able to get in these small pieces. If I hadn't told you they were postcard size (4x6) I'm sure you would have thought they were much bigger.

Hope you enjoyed them as much as I did.

Til next time. Ronda



8 comments:

  1. Wow, all those rug hooked PC are lovely. I especially LOVE the lighthouse one. Thanks for sharing. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The postcards are lovely. It's a nice way to get a rug done in a hurry without getting bored.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, It looks like it would be hard to work on something that small. Good to hear from you was getting worried cause you hadn't posted in a while don't mean to make you fell bad I was juct concerned.

      Delete
  3. They look amazing and have introduced me to a whole new craft. Thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Annabelle, It's new to me as well. A couple of ladies were working on their rug hooking projects at my wool club and I thought it looked like fun. So I went on YouTube and checked it out, ordered a kit on line and am slowly figuring it out. Mine is definitely PRIMITIVE but I'm enjoying it so far.

      Delete
  4. Those are fabulous. They must have used a 3 or 4 cut to make them and I usually hook with a 6 or 8. They could not have been easy but they sure are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I'm new to rug hooking so I'm not sure what they used. I was amazed at how much they were able to do on such a small piece.

      Delete

I'd love to hear your comments and will do my best to respond. Once you enter a comment you can choose Name/URL from the list , enter your name, leave the URL blank and click on continure.