Friday, December 7, 2012

JACKPOT-Thrift store shopping

I have decided I want to try wool rug hooking and in reading about it I saw you can take apart wool garments and recycle the wool to use in the rugs. That sounded like a good idea because buying wool can be expensive. Living in California there aren't a lot of used wool garments to be found, until today that is, I went to a thrift shop in Oakhurst and scored several wool skirts. I guess I could have taken a picture of them but I wanted to get them in the washer ASAP in case little critters were hiding in them. (Yes you wash the wool to remove any sizing, dry cleaning fluid and the aforementioned critters). By the way wet wool doesn't smell very good.

This particular thrift shop had a HUGE building that was filled with Christmas items. It reminded me of the Island of Misfit Toys from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer only these items had once been loved and a part of a Christmas celebration. I know it's silly but it made me sad. I'm sure there were treasures to be found but the items weren't very well displayed, just abandoned.

Tomorrow I have a busy day, first stop is a Christmas Boutique in Oakhurst, then down to Fresno to go to the Handmade Bazaar and finally to the Modern Quilt Guild meeting. That is the plan, we'll see how much of it I decide to do.

Hope you have a fun weekend planned.

1 comment:

  1. I've also read that you can use wool sweaters and wash them in hot water to 'felt' them and use in projects!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments and will do my best to respond. Once you enter a comment you can choose Name/URL from the list , enter your name, leave the URL blank and click on continure.